WHY A SWEAT RATE STUDY?
Myself ( P. Venkatraman ) and Dr Aashish Contractor, Preventive Cardiologist and Head of Cardiac Rehab, Asian Heart Institute and Medical Director of Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon have launched India’s first and World’s largest study on ‘Sweat Rates’ of Indian runners.
This was consequent to the feedback after the SCMM of Jan 2012 that got us thinking along this path. Numerous Social Media comments were around a common theme.
– Too many runners had cramped. Much higher in number than earlier years. Close friends of mine had to pull out of the race. Or worst, limp to the finish line in pain.
– The medical base camp at the Finish line had an unusually large number of runners who needed to be treated for cramps, pulled muscles etc.
– Relispray ( and other similar muscle relaxants ) were out of stock in many medical camps, even though they were stocked at much higher levels this year.
Numerous conversations revealed the following underlying reasons
– Mumbai had an extended winter. With much cooler weather the thirst trigger was muffled and runners did not hydrate enough
– With a cooler weather, runners also over paced themselves early on.
Naturally cramping occurred in much larger scale than every before.
It was thus felt that something should be done about this so that runners do not suffer in the years ahead. The best and easiest way to fix this was to do a study and measure the ‘SWEAT RATE’ of Indian runners we felt.
Sweat rate data available, so far, are based on research from Western countries. Our readings also revealed that in most cases the sample size was very low ( 10 or so runners ) and again mostly in a gym on the treadmill.
We felt that using such data, based on Western ‘rules of thumbs’ may result in numbers that could be quite different from what may be the reality in Indian weather conditions and that too on the streets. Also each racial profile has its own genetic differences in many areas.
Hence we felt the need to launch a Sweat Rate study appropriately titled S.W.E.A.T ( Sweat, Water, Endurance And Training )
It is India’s first..no one has done this before.
It is going to be the World’s largest..we intend to cover runners by the hundreds from various running groups in Mumbai and Pune.
What out for further announcements…coming soon to a venue near you